I accidentally ate the fortune in my fortune cookie.
It’s actually fortune ate.
i am so done with this website
Snow White from Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs is strong. She is feminists favorite punching bag, right after Aurora but at least every once in awhile someone will come to Aurora’s defense. Snow (and Cinderella frankly) are seen as what is wrong with the Disney princesses. Snow likes cute animals, cooking, cleaning, and a useless dwarf. She befriends seven strange men who end up saving her in the end. Dude, the prince just comes and kisses her. She is stereotypically feminine. She doesn’t go fight for her country. She doesn’t prevent a war from breaking out. Girl is nice to every single person she meets, even the woman who tried to kill her. She felt bad that she scared the animals when they found her crying in the woods. She is kind hearted. She wants to help everyone she meets. Her looking out for others is what got her killed.
All of that being said does not make her weak. Sure, she is a bit naive but she lived a rather sheltered life. The queen had her locked away doing chores all day. When she found out the queen wanted her killed, instead of standing in the field looking at the huntsman, she fucking ran. She ran away to protect herself. She left an abusive home (she lived with the queen in her castle). When she met the dwarfs, she bargained with them so they wouldn’t kick her out. She ran that house. She put the dwarves and animals to work. She was very sweet but she was also the head bitch in charge. Even Grumpy didn’t try to backtalk her.
The fact she needed the dwarfs and animals to save her doesn’t make her weak. Saving yourself is more than just killing the enemy. It is about surviving, which Snow White did. She may not know how to throw a punch, shoot an arrow, or save her country, that doesn’t make her weak. Not every woman can defeat their demons/enemies on their own. Some of them need help from their friends, which the dwarfs and animals were to Snow, to defeat their enemy and that doesn’t make them weak.
Also, girls who prefer Snow White to Merida are not weak or “too girly.” There is no such thing as being “too girly.” Not all girls are going to relate to Merida and that is okay. Not all girls are going to like Snow White. Some girls like both characters. There is nothing wrong with girls liking the classic Disney princesses. There is nothing wrong with girls preferring the newer princesses. What is a problem is when people try to deem what princesses are “good” or “bad.”
Honestly, bravo. This is one of the best posts I’ve seen on tumblr. I hate that people think Snow is weak because she doesn’t perform heroic acts and, like you said, is traditionally feminine.
She managed to escape from the Evil Queen, make the best out of the situation in the woods and befriended the dwarves, and eventually found her Prince and her happily ever after. There is nothing wrong with that.
Nerdfighter Benedict? Or just failed Vulcan?
As far as I can tell, there are eight possibilities here. (I’ve spent a fair bit of time thinking about this.)
1. Benedict Cumberbatch is a hardcore nerdfighter and when Martin Freeman threw up a gang sign, Cumberbatch was like, “I have one of those.”
2. Cumberbatch, who obviously has a relationship with Star Trek, just naturally changed the Vulcan sign (pulling in the thumbs, turning the palms inward, crossing the arms) in precisely the same way that I happened to change the Vulcan sign when I first made the nerdfighter sign in the halcyon days of 2007.
3. One of the interns on set who has gained the trust of Benedict Cumberbatch was like, “If you do your hands like this, the Internet will get really excited.” And so he did.
4. BBC, in their infinite wisdom, staged the entire photo and Cumberbatch was taught the nerdfighter sign (I MEAN LOOK AT THE PERFECTION OF HIS NERDFIGHTER SIGN! He seems so comfortable and confident in it, almost as if it is muscle memory, almost as if he has flashed it to his laptop screen on hundreds of occasions in the past, but I digress) and this photograph was staged to get people psyched for Sherlock, although what tiny segment of nerdfighteria is not already psyched for Sherlock? Also, if this is the case, who is Martin Freeman trying to advertise to? Residents of the West Side?
5. Benedict Cumberbatch has a relative or a friend who is a nerdfighter and so he is passingly familiar with nerdfighteria and liked what he has seen and wanted to make us all very happy.
6. The nerdfighter sign also happens to be the hand sign of some obscure English gang with which I am unfamiliar called like The East London Wanderers or The Slightly Intimidating Liverpudlians or whatever.
7. Nerdfighteria actually figures in the plot of the new season of Sherlock. Perhaps a nerdfighter has been (wrongly no doubt!) accused of a murder.
8. Benedict Cumberbatch was playing some kind of British version of Rock Paper Scissors against two invisible opponents, and he went double scissors (as any smart person would).
Is benedict cumberbatch unintentionally doing the vlog brothers sign here?
What is happening…where is this from…people don’t just UNINTENTIONALLY do the Nerdfighter sign…either he was told to do this or…or…
OR HE IS A NERDFIGHTER, HANK. (Source.)
This was the sweetest Snow White I ever met because instead of doing the usual stock photo princess pose, she wanted to model for me. She giggled a lot, tried different looks, and even joked a bit.
Bless you Snow White.
What the city is missing:Thierry Cohen photographs cityscapes and then photographs deserts at night, combing the two to show us what our cities would look like with the lights off. The stars are not enhanced, they are actual photos from relative latitudes that would expose the same starry sky view if it weren’t for light pollution. Click on each photo to see which city it is.
hello hello introducing my new cosplay of tumblr user pizza
i tried doing a mini photoshoot for a photoset BUT MY DAD WALKED IN ON ME WHEN I GOT A PICTURE AND
THE SIGH HE GAVE WHEN HE CAME IN
I HAVE FAILED YOU FATHER
(Like, in say AP English or your freshman in college lit class.)
I am asking because we are thinking about the future of Crash Course and stuff. Okay thanks.
Let’s see if I can remember all of these. There are probably a bunch missing…
King Lear Shakespeare
Much Ado About Nothing Shakespeare
The Canterbury Tales Chaucer
House Tracy Kidder
Nickeled and Dimed Barbara Ehrenreich
The Woman Warrior Maxine Hong Kingston
Indian Killer Sherman Alexie
Slaughterhouse Five Kurt Vonnegut
Word Freak Stefan Fatsis
Musicophilia Oliver Sacks
The End of Education Neil Postman
In Defense of Food Michael Pollan
The Odyssey Homer
Heart of Darkness Joseph Conrad
All the Pretty Horses Cormac McCarthy
The Lord of the Rings J. R. R. Tolkien (Yeah, this was for a class)
Le Morte d’Arthur Sir Thomas Malory